Sunday, October 4, 2015

Five-minute Family History Fun - October 4th

Happy National Family History Month!

In memory of-

Benjamin Bigelow
b. 4 October 1755
"Rev. War soldier taken
prisoner at Bunker Hill,
and said to have d. in the service"

Benjamin is a very distant relation of mine, second cousin six times removed. I know very little about him, other than what is above this paragraph. His parents were Benjamin and Elizabeth (Colman) Bigelow who married in Massachusetts in 1754. This information is from a working copy of "Bemis Genealogy" by Robert Andrews. I honestly don't know what or how much I might find in five minutes, but I'll give it a shot.

In a search on FamilySearch Family Tree, I found a record for Benjamin with only his mother's name. A Record Hint led me to his birth record, so I will be able to update the record in Family Tree with documentation.

According to the MassachusettsBirths and Christenings, 1639-1915 database, he was born as noted above, on 4 October 1755 in Lunenburg, Worcester County, Massachusetts.

As for the reference to having served in the Revolutionary War, I found one family tree on Ancestry.com that place his death in 1776. However, there was no documentation. In a quick search of the military records on that site, I came up with nothing.

Then, my five minutes expired. At least I made a little progress. I surely don't want Benjamin to be forgotten. :)

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment